Habitat for Humanity International celebrates its partnerships with faith communities through a program called Building on Faith. Locally, Habitat for Humanity of York County participates in this initiative through its annual Faith Build. The Faith Build project mobilizes the faith community to build houses as an expression of God’s love.
What is the Faith Build?
1. It is a coalition of faith communities in York County coming together to build a home with Habitat for Humanity. This undertaking recalls the faith of Jesus and brings congregations together to raise the funds, hammers and prayers necessary to create a home.
2. It also provides faith communities with a sense of mission-oriented identity. Building this house will allow faith communities to be a proactive participant – God working through them to bless our community in the form of affordable housing.
To date, many different York County faith communities have partnered to build homes on faith. Building a Habitat home allows congregations of different faith backgrounds the opportunity to come together to work toward one goal – to build a simple, decent and affordable home for a qualified family.
Each faith community provides financial support toward the construction cost of the home, a volunteer work crew and lunch for one Saturday.
Thank you to the following partners for making the 2013 Faith Build possible:
- Oakland Baptist Church
- Philadelphia United Methodist Church
- St. John’s UMC – Rock Hill
- Riverhills Community Church
- Unity Presbyterian Church
- Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church
- Grace Presbyterian Church
- Doby’s Bridge Presbyterian Church
- The Oratory Council Knights of Columbus at St. Anne’s Catholic Church